Tax preparation online

Tax Preparation online help - Tax Deductions Alimony

If you made alimony payments to your spouse or former spouse who reported the payments as alimony then you may be able to deduct the alimony.

If your were divorced or separated after 1984 and you paid alimony to or for your spouse or former spouse you can deduct the alimony payment on line 31a of the IRS tax form 1040 if you meet all of the following tax deductions of alimony requirements.

  • alimony payments are required by a decree of divorce or separation.

  • the alimony payments are in cash

  • you and your spouse or former spouse do not live together and do not file joint returns.

  • you are not required to make alimony payments after the death of your spouse or former spouse.

  • the alimony payments do not represent child support or a division of your marital property.
Alimony payments must be in cash for tax deductions

Alimony payments can be made directly to you or to a third party for your benefits as alimony. So, the alimony payer can either send money to his or her spouse or former spouse or pay for utilities, medical expenses, or rent, etc directly. All of the above alimony payments are considered cash alimony payments.